Monday, May 05, 2008

Book Review: Waldorf Education by Christopher Clouder and Martyn Rawson

This is a great book to read as an introduction to the Steiner Waldorf School of thought. No, I'm not deviating from Montessori, but it has been such an enriching experience. This is especially so because the Waldorf school is 'radically child centred and is based on the on-going study of the developing human being.' Gasp! that sounds like the Montessori philosophy.

If Montessori has 'Cosmic Education', the Waldorf school also seeks to assist the child in finding meaning in life for 'it is a central task of education to give children not only a sense of identity but a profound sense of purpose'.

I also find it intriguing how they stress on creating deep impressions for 'the more profound and true to the being of the phenomenon the young child's experience is, the more profound the conscious knowledge in later years.' Ka-ching again....

I can go on. There are of course differences in approach and methods. However, what I am most attracted to is their 'sense' based education that is translated in their programme which is very arts based such as music, dance, drama and the visual arts.

I have always had a soft spot for the arts. Having reconciled somewhat, my artistic tendencies with Islamic values, I have come full circle from reviling in art as defined by the West, throwing it aside and returning to art with a new, more Islamic, perspective. I want to share that with my children, especially Umayr who is more artistically inclined.

The arts are so much apart of the Waldorf school. I am not for the fairy tales and myths but the artistic angle is an attraction that I'd like to incorporate in my Montessori teaching with my kids. Montessori herself did not feel the need to dabble in art curriculum for she felt that it was already doing a great job!

It is certainly a much easier read than what you can find at www.rsarchive.org which provides a lot of literature online on the Waldorf school. Darn, even Montessori doesn't have that. However, if you want an academic read, it is a very good website.

No comments: